What is Mathematics all about?
Mathematics provides both a framework for thinking and a means of symbolic communication that is powerful, logical and concise.
The VCE Mathematical courses are designed to promote students’ awareness of the importance of mathematics in everyday life and to build confidence in making effective use of mathematical ideas, techniques and processes.
The main strands of Maths at VCE level offered at the College
- General Mathematics Unit 1/2 → Further Mathematics Units 3/4
- Mathematical Methods CAS Unit 1/2 → Mathematical Methods CAS Units 3/4
- Specialist Maths Unit 1/2 → Specialist Maths Unit 3/4
The level of Mathematics undertaken in Year 10 affects the maths choices available in VCE. There are no VCAA prerequisites for entry into Units 1 and 2. However, entry into VCE Maths at Noble Park Secondary College is based on:
- Successful completion of Year 10 Maths pathway
- Satisfactorily completing a verification test in August
- Teacher recommendations